I have a new recipe to share. It's one that I based on another recipe, but it has enough changes that it's now its own recipe. It doesn't have a name (because I'm not very creative!), so if you make this and think of one, please let me know! :)
Ingredients
3/4 cup rice (regular, not instant)
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tbsp. taco seasoning (and/or southwest seasoning)
1 lg. can tomato sauce (15-16 oz.)
1/2 lb. ground beef (or cooked, cubed chicken)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
French fried onions (crushed)
Cook rice & 1 1/2 cups water in 3 quart saucepan. Meanwhile, cook ground beef (if using). In a large bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, sour cream, and seasoning. Stir in meat, half the cheese, and rice. Pour into an 8x8 or 11x7 pan. Top with remaining cheese, and sprinkle with french fried onions. Bake at 375ยบ for 15 minutes or until hot. Serves 3-4.
Now my notes- for the seasoning, my favorite is to use 1 T. of taco seasoning, and 1 T. of Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning. I also don't measure the sour cream, cheese, and onions. I've made it enough times now that I just eyeball it. Also, if you make it beforehand and are baking it cold, add to the baking time. 15 minutes is about right if it's already warm (like the rice & the beef).
Enjoy! And let me know if you have any other suggestions for this recipe, or a name for it! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We loved it, Michelle! It was really, really yummy! (I can't wait to have leftovers for lunch today!) So glad you posted the recipe, because I was going to ask you for it!
We liked scooping it with tortilla chips too.
Thanks again!
I'm glad you liked it, Sarah! I brought that to the banquet as well, so I had leftovers for lunch yesterday. :)
Yum, it sounds good with chips! You're very welcome!
I think you should call it Melting Pot Casserole. There are several food groups involved:
*Grain (rice)
*Dairy (sour cream & cheese)
*Meat (beef)
*Vegetables (Tomato sauce)
And, there are several countries/regions represented:
*America (cheddar cheese...I'll consider it American)
*Italy (Tomato sauce)
*Asia (rice)
*Mexico (taco seasoning)
Makes sense to me!
Good idea! :)
Post a Comment