I know many people have already read about this on Facebook, but I wanted to share a little more about what happened today. I've always cut up my kids' grapes when they were little. Sometime around age 3, I start letting them have them whole. I've never had a problem with that- until today...
We were eating lunch, and Daniel started choking on one. He could still breathe, but he was screaming and he told me there was a whole one stuck in his throat. I couldn't figure out how to get it out- he couldn't get it up or down. I didn't know what else to do, so I called 911. They sent out a firetruck. A few minutes later (while Daniel was screaming the whole time), 3 firemen showed up. They knew it was good that he was breathing, but he was still obviously having trouble. They decided to call for an ambulance. While that was on its way, one of the firefighters stuck his finger in the back of Daniel's mouth to make him gag, and that made him start throwing up. That made the grape come out. It had been stuck in his esophagus (which is why he could still breathe- if it had been stuck in his airway instead, he would've stopped breathing). They radioed the ambulance and told them he wasn't choking anymore, but still come to check him out. So then we had 5 aid people in my tiny kitchen, plus me, Daniel, and the guy who was here building our fence. They took his blood pressure, heartrate, etc. and basically discharged him. They all took off, then it was time to recover from our ordeal. All Daniel wanted was for me to read him a book on the couch.
He's alright now. Apparently swallowing food makes his throat hurt a little, but not too bad. I'm still a bit shaken up by it. I've never had to call 911 before about my kids, and listen for the sirens as they got closer to my house. I don't know when I'll ever be okay with giving my kids whole grapes again. I knew they were a choke hazard for little kids (which is why I cut them up when they're little), but I didn't realize how dangerous they could still be for a 5 year old.
In much better news, our fence was finished today, and I'll try to post pictures of that soon. It looks fabulous!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment