Wednesday, October 15, 2008

2 new recipes

Actually, one of these recipes is new (to me), the other I've had for years. One is what we had for dinner last night, the other is what I just made for tonight! Both are easy, fairly quick to prepare, and economical. First is the new recipe- I'll post it as written, then mention what I did differently.

Hash Brown Casserole

6 large eggs, well beaten
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 package (30 oz.) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 cup diced ham (optional)

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 9x13-inch baking dish.

Combine eggs, evaporated milk, salt & pepper in large bowl. Add potatoes, cheese, onion, bell pepper and ham; mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

Bake for 60-65 minutes or until set. Makes 8 servings.

*** What I changed: I made half this recipe, since it was only for the 4 of us. I baked it in an 8" square pan one time, and an 11x7 pan the other time. The baking time was about 50 minutes. Also, when I made it yesterday I realized I forgot to buy evaporated milk, so I used 2% milk. That worked fine. I also don't add a whole onion or bell pepper, to suit my family's tastes. Lastly- instead of ham, I used diced smoked sausage (like the kind that comes in a U shape). It was delicious!!

Now this is a recipe I've been eating since I was a kid. It was one my mom used to make.

Chili Dily

2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 clove garlic
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 lb. ground beef

Brown these ingredients together, then in a large bowl combine:

Beef mixture
2 small cans tomato sauce
2 cans chili
1/2 lb. cooked spaghetti
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream

Pour into a baking dish, and sprinkle with any leftover cheese. Cover and bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until hot.

(All I changed was to make half that amount, and I used less ground beef than it called for, because that's what I had. I also don't measure when I make this- it's a pretty forgiving recipe!)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

God Made Playdough said...

You've made that chily bily recipe for me before and it was good! I was just thinking today that I needed to find a brunch food recipe (for mops) and that hash brown one sounds perfect! Thanks! :) I'm still looking for a chicken idea. . .