Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Trifle recipe

I love pumpkin, and love my trifle bowl, so I made a fantastic recipe using both! I combined two recipes I found online and came up with this one. It still tastes great today, 2 days after I made it. Yummy!!

Pumpkin Trifle

Ingredients
1 pkg. spice cake mix
1 large pkg. (6.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding, divided
1 (15 oz.) can pureed pumpkin, divided
½ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 large tub (16 oz.) whipped topping, divided

Directions
1. Make cake: Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Combine cake mix, 2 tbsp. of the vanilla pudding mix, ½ of the pumpkin puree, ½ cup water, ½ cup oil, and 3 eggs. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 38-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, and then remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. (Set aside about ¼ of the cake for another use.) Cut into 1-inch cubes.

2. Make filling: In a large bowl, combine remainder of pudding mix, ½ cup water, sweetened condensed milk, remaining pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well. Fold in just under half of the whipped topping until no streaks remain.

3. Assemble: Place 1/3 of the cake cubes in bottom of trifle bowl. Top with 1/3 of the pudding mixture, then 1/3 of the whipped topping. Repeat twice for a total of 3 layers. Refrigerate 8 hours before serving.

(Optional: include 1 cup chopped toasted pecans and/or 1 cup English toffee bits in the layers)

1 comment:

God Made Playdough said...

Thank you for sending some home with Ryan for me! It was yummy!!! He even liked it alot and he doesn't like pumpkin! Sorry I couldn't come over last night! :(
Would you be willing to help out with our cubbies/puggles harvest party tomorrow night? We just need crowd control! :)